Monday, October 20, 2014

Around the World Blog Hop

Thank you Nora for inviting me to this 'Around the World Blog Hop'!  I love Nora's clean style, you can see how wonderful it is by clicking on this link...=>NoraBergman.blogspot.com

My favorites of hers are the hammer on the fabric, the farming vehicle seat, and of course the salt and pepper shaker. 



The invitees in this blog hop are extremely talented and inspiring to me.  I have been viewing their work on DPW (Daily Paintworks) and following their blogs for a long time!  Ahh, this post is supposed to tell a bit about me and my process...

I started by painting smaller works, because my interests change often and I can offer them at a low price and still keep on painting.  My studio would be quite cluttered at this point if I didn't sell them!  I have a desire to better capture what I see in my head.  I am goal oriented and I always feel the need to improve.

I am just getting to the point where I really like what I am making though I realize I have a long way to go...

I love to paint birds, dogs and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.


1. What am I working on?  Well, I usually have a whole bunch of paintings in all stages.  Maybe I need more self discipline.  My interests change sometimes after I already started a piece...and I like to paint in layers so they are sometimes shelved indefinitely- caught somewhere mid process!  I probably should not admit such things.

2. How does my work differ from others of its genre? I really don't know.  I like where realism and abstract intersect.

 3. Why do I create what I do?  I've experimented with all kinds of materials, wood, glass, cement...I have always felt the need to create or beautify.  My carpenter-husband and I are a lot alike, we do a lot of projects together, and he has outfitted every home we flipped with an art area and wood shop!

4. How does my creating process work?    Sometimes I have something in mind when I start, sometimes I start and see where it takes me....always striving to let go and let myslef create.  My favorite times are when I am in the groove and something great just comes out.  I have thousands of photos I took on my iPhone, iPad and computer and sometimes I spend a lot of time combing through the photos and putting them in categories, cleaning it all up, looking for something to paint, then I don't have any time left for painting!  But the bad art days taught me a valuable lesson, don't sit down to paint just bcuz there is time today.  Wait till you feel inspired and it flows. That is precisely why I don't get a painting out every day or even once a week...oh and bcuz I have 3 'kids' in college...and a self employed husband.  I also run the gathering of food in our community food pantry. So little time!


 That's why sometimes the only painting time I get is when I paint in my head, noticing all the colors or shadows on someone's face or just the right angle of my dog:
I have autoimmune disease, degenerative arthritis and fibro so the amount of time I feel good enough is limited.  But that's a downer.  I strive to enjoy every day and the best kinds of days are days that I get to paint.  :D

 I chose 2 of the painters I admire who will be blogging next Monday - October 27th, click on their links to see more of their work:

barbara newton paints lovely soft intimate landscapes, and still lifes.  barbara, I will have a piece of yours one day soon!  Problem being to only choose one.  Impossible.


krista eaton paints lots of subjects and beautiful flowers, I just love them!  Especially her tulips.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment!